SPOILER ALERT!

Reading progress update: I've read 20%.

The Call of Cthulhu - H.P. Lovecraft

Well, to begin with, I've always wanted to read The Call of Cthulhu given how much its mentioned in pop culture. With that being said, Lovecraft loves his big words. I kept my phone open to Google just in case I had to google some unknown word (which I did at least 4 times, and I'm only a fifth of the way into the story.)

So, the narrator, Francis Wayland Thurston is recalling how he found out about Cthulhu. His great uncle George Gammell Angell has just passed, and since he was his uncle's heir, he gets to clean out his uncle's office at Brown University where he is a linguistic professor.

I'd say that I was impressed by the fact that this ninety-two year old man was still working, but there's a history professor at my college whose probably older than him who's retired but still comes in to work for funsies. Clearly, they both love their careers.

Anyway, Angell's died, so Thurston is cleaning out his stuff when he finds a locked box. Unlocking it, he finds a relief of Cthulhu and his uncle's notes on the subject. A young artist gave him the relief to help him understand the glyphs. He'd created the piece, inspired by weird visions and dreams he'd been having. For a time, Angell and the artist continue to meet because the artist is still having these weird fever dreams, though this ends after a week long episode towards the end of March, which results in the artist losing his prophetic connection.

With his main connection gone, Angell investigates the matter, questioning other acquaintances. He finds that artists and poets have had similar experiences. Now Thurston is interested, but only because he's trying to figure out what his uncle was up to.

That's as far as I've gotten in the story. I'll admit, I'm a little intrigued. So far, it's not as easy to read as Benjamin Button - I had to dedicate a journal to taking notes while I read. Doesn't deter me, though. It just means that this is going to take me some time to finish.